Whether you are visiting for an Open Oven or a Booking, planning your trip to the Park Avenue Community Oven will help ensure fun for all. Reviewing the information on this page is important, especially for first-time visitors.
Open Oven or Booking?
Choose Open Oven if:
- Coming with 15 to 20 people or fewer
- Plan to cook pizzas (Or easy to roast items like foiled veggies)
Choose Bookings if:
- Need a specific date
- Plan to cook pizzas or;
- Plan to cook other food items that might require a different temperature (Bread, deserts etc.)
Please check our Hours & Availability page for a complete list of dates and times.
- Bookings are for 2 hours of cooking time. You are still welcome to enjoy the surrounding park before, during and after your cooking time.
- Cooking and clean-up should be completed before the next booking begins. There is generally a 30 minutes gap between the end and beginning of bookings.
- All events must end 30 minutes before sunset.
What we Provide
- Several picnic tables are located around the oven.
- 3 large stainless steel countertops for food preparation with room to fit 9-12 people preparing food at a time.
- Pizza peels large enough to make 10-12 inch pizzas.
- Running water (June to September only).
- The oven and the wood to heat it.
- Trained volunteers to keep the oven fire lit.
Everything else must be brought by the visitor.
Booking Planning Checklist
Click HERE to view the checklist
We will issue a cancellation for weather 12-24 hours in advance of an event if the weather forecast:
- Has a great than 50% chance of precipitation, and;
- Precipitation is expected to be rain (or snow!?!) e.g. Not showers, drizzle etc. or;
- A weather warning has been issued by Environment Canada.
If you need to cancel your booking request, our volunteers really appreciate you letting them know as soon as possible. This lets them clear there personal schedule and plan other activities if they will not be volunteering. Email email@example.com to let us know.
Cancellations do happen. We can never guarantee that volunteers will be available for the date you have requested. We do our best to fulfil as many of the requests we receive though! Consider having a backup plan in place.
The booking fee is $25 (A $5 discount is applied to non-profits and charities at the time of payment). As a not-for-profit organisation, the funds collected help cover our expenses such as firewood, supplies and liability insurance.
Please make cheques payable to the Leighton Dillman Park Oven, Garden, and Orchard Association. We also accept cash or EMT (EMTs will not be deposited until the day of your event). Receipts can be provided upon request.
There are no washrooms at the oven site (yet) but there are public washrooms available nearby at Alderney Landing or the Halifax Transit Bridge Terminal.
Booking Request Form
Select the desired date in time in the calendar picker, fill in your personal information, review and accept the terms & conditions and click submit.
Click HERE for help using the booking form. Still have questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* A minimum 3 weeks is required for all booking requests to be processed and scheduled. NO EXCEPTIONS *